I’m sure you’ve heard about the numerous benefits to using LED versus standard bulb. However, do you really know what the benefits are to using LED lighting in your custom built home or new remodel? When you compare LED lights to other energy-saving illumination methods that are available on the market today you will find that LED lighting is by far the most power-saving and smart solution.

Long Life Span-

This is the number one benefit to LED lights. LED bulbs and diodes have an outstanding operational life. In fact, they have a life expectancy of up to 100.000 hours, or 11 years of continuous operation, or 22 years at half operation. If you were to leave a LED fixture on for 8hrs. a day, it would take 20 years before you have to replace the bulbs.

Energy Efficiency-

This is the most energy efficient way to illuminate your custom home today. LED’s have an estimated energy efficiency of 80-90% when compared to traditional lighting and conventional light bulbs. That means that 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light and not wasted. The other 20% is converted into other forms of energy such as heat. With a normal incandescent bulb, it’s the exact opposite.

If you decided to use traditional lighting in your custom home, chances are your bill is paying to heat the room in your custom home, rather than lighting it. Using LED illumination with 80% efficiency, the electricity costs would be quite a bit lower.

Eco-Friendly-

We all want to help the environment right? Well with LED light in your building plan, you could be helping the environment! LED lights are free of toxic chemicals! Most florescent bulbs hold multitudes of hazardous materials like mercury that are dangerous for our environment.

LED lights have no toxins in them what so ever, and as an added bonus are 100% recyclable. They also help reduce your carbon footprint by up to a third. Plus since these light have such a long life span, one LED bulb will live the life of 25 incandescent bulb.

Durable Quality-

LEDs are tough nuts to crack. They are made of extremely durable material that can withstand even the roughest of environments.

Because of their resistance to shot, vibration, and external impacts, they make great outdoor lighting systems for rough weather exposures. Living in the NW, we are often blessed with excess rain and wind. So LEDs are great for any exposure.

LEDs are even operational in extreme hot or cold temperatures. With florescent lamps, the extreme hot and cold can affect the operation of the light. Not true for LEDs.

Todd Delahunt
Follow Me

Todd Delahunt

Delahunt Homes is a residential, custom, luxury home builder serving the Portland Metropolitan area and other parts of the Pacific Northwest. We've been building custom dream homes featured in The Street of Dreams since 1992.
Todd Delahunt
Follow Me